For A Better India
The Pinkathon focuses on a few initiatives to bring about a positive change in society.
From Pink to Green
Pinkathon encourages the participants to opt for a reusable cup rather than a disposable plastic water bottle on the route. It was first implemented in Bengaluru in 2015. Pinkathon has also collaborated with the Waste Warriors to reduce the carbon footprint in every run. Every Pinkathon is followed by a tree plantation drive, with 1,000 trees being planted in each city. The aim is to build a stronger union between the health of an individual and the health of the environment.
A Pacer with every Racer
The concept of A Pacer with every Racer is specially designed for the half marathon and has received a great response in all the cities. Each pacer makes sure that the girl they are matched with stays safe during the run.
For spreading the word about early detection and examination, medical/mammogram tags, are given to all the participants at the main event. The tags can be used to get a free breast check-up/mammogram at a city hospital.
What You Should Know
- Breast cancer can affect women, and men, of all ages
- Mammograms can detect breast cancer even before it can be felt
- The survival rate is as high as 99% if the cancer is detected early
- Breast self-examination should be done 3 to 5 days after the period starts
- Only 6-8% of all breast cancers are hereditary
- Changes in the shape or size of the breast
- Unusual breast pain
- Unusual nipple discharge
- Swelling in the breast
- Redness around the breast skin