Fruity, Zesty Summer
Summer fruits are the kind that ooze delicious, fruity nectar with every bite, often leaving your chin a sticky mess! These fleshy fruits can be used to make scrumptious puddings, drinks, and salads. Before you reach for another bottle of soft drink or an ice-cream bar to cool off in the heat, try substituting them with some delicious preparations, made using the juiciest of summer produce.
• 1 whole watermelon
• Simple syrup (recipe follows)
• Zest of two limes
• Juice of 4 limes (1/4 cup)
How to prepare
- Peel and deseed the watermelon. Dice it into 2-inch pieces.
- To make the syrup, add ¼ cup of water and two tablespoons of sugar to a saucepan. Add ¼ tablespoon of salt.
- Bring the mixture to boil, and let it simmer, without stirring, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the lime zest and lime juice, stirring slowly. Once the mixture is cooled, strain it into a small bowl.
- In a blender, puree the syrup and the watermelon in two batches. Transfer each batch of puree into a loaf pan or a square shaped pan. Cover the pan and freeze the mixture for 8 hrs.
- When you want to make the slushie, use a fork or any sharp utensil to scrape the puree into icy flakes. Put the flakes into serving glasses, and add some soda or regular water. You can even add pieces of watermelon to the drink.
- You can substitute the watermelon with other melons of your choice. Instead of lime juice, you can even use ginger, mint, or basil to give it a tangy twist.
Honey Yoghurt Berry Salad
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup grated orange zest
- I tbsp orange juice
How to prepare
- Place all the berries in a salad bowl. Mix well, making sure you don’t crush the fruits.
- In another bowl, mix the orange juice, yoghurt, honey, and orange zest.
- Pour the mixture over the berries. Toss lightly.
Leave a Comment